The World Health Organization (WHO) says it will assist in investigations into allegations that aid workers had sexually abused and exploited women – while tackling the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
An exposé, published this week, has revealed that sex-for-jobs schemes were an open secret during the DRC’s recent Ebola outbreak.
Senior United Nations (UN) officials and NGO workers say over 50 women claim to have been sexually exploited or abused by foreign men – identifying as aid workers in Beni, the hub of the outbreak.
NGOs have repeatedly vowed to ramp up efforts to crack down on sexual exploitation and abuse – but last year, the UN said that over 170 such allegations were made against its staff.
➡️124 cases (118 confirmed, 6 probable) 50 deceased, 67 recovered. pic.twitter.com/mXShWrc9zp
— WHO African Region (@WHOAFRO) September 29, 2020